We are a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel therapeutics to treat chronic liver diseases utilizing our proprietary bile acid chemistry.
Our product candidates have the potential to treat orphan and more prevalent diseases for which there currently are limited therapeutic solutions.
Obeticholic acid (OCA)—an FXR agonist
- OCA is a lead product candidate that
- Selectively binds to and activates the farnesoid X receptor (FXR)
- Regulates liver, intestinal, and kidney function
- Modulates inflammatory, metabolic, and immune pathways
- Intercept is developing OCA in primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC)* for patients
- With an inadequate response to standard-of-care therapy
- Unable to tolerate standard-of-care therapy
- PBC is a chronic, autoimmune, cholestatic liver disease
- If inadequately treated, it may eventually lead to cirrhosis, liver failure, and death
Intercept owns worldwide rights to OCA outside of Japan, Korea, and China, where we have exclusively licensed the compound to Sumitomo Dainippon, and granted it an option to exclusively license OCA in certain other Asian countries.
*Also known as primary biliary cholangitis.